Sunday, December 21, 2008

My Dog's So Smart

It's really cold here. Really cold. And Mayzee has no undercoat, so she gets cold when she goes outside. So, we got her a coat to wear when she goes out.
The other day, Mayzee rang the bell on the back door, letting us know she needed to go out. When I opened the door, a blast of cold air hit me and I looked at the thermostat: 3 degrees. So I said to Mayzee, "You want your coat?" She stopped on the porch and looked at me, cocking her head to the right. "You want your coat?" She tilted her head to the left. So I grabbed her coat off the counter and repeated the phrase. She started like she was gonna run to me, so I leaned over and repeated the phrase one more time. She raced up the porch and into the house, stopping right below my hands so I could put the coat on her. As soon as the coat was secure around her waist, she went trotting outside to do her business.
She is so proud of her coat.
Another smart thing she does, and has done since we first got her at 12 weeks, is: if she has found something to chew on and is chomping away, or holding it in her mouth, preparing to chomp and we say, "Drop it!" she will spit it out immediately and trot off to find something else to do. She's done that since the first time I said it to her.
She amazes me. She's such a smart puppy.

1 comment:

Aurie Jenkins said...

she is too cute!!! What a wonderful puppy, its nice when your addition is so sweet, ours drives me crazy, not smart at all