Thursday, August 14, 2008

Hit 'Em... HARD!!!

Tristan and the other boys began real football practice this week. They got their pads and helmets on Friday, so this week has been all about full contact football.



They are having so much fun. I thought it would be difficult watching my baby slam into other kids and having other kids slam into him, but surprisingly, it's quite exciting! They have a funny little cheer that they do where one kid yells, "Hit 'em..." and the rest of the team respond, "HARD!" I found myself chanting it with them in my head. Yesterday was a scrimmage with the other Rocky Mountain 6th grade team. Tristan was squared off against his opponent (I'd tell you the position, if I knew what it was called!) and when "Hut!" was yelled, the other kid tried to get away from Tristan so he could be open and Tristan just NAILED him! I mean, took the kid out! I let out a whoop and jumped and clapped my hands before I realized what I was doing. I wondered, belatedly, if the mom standing next to me could be that kid's mom, and I almost felt guilty. Almost.

Now, my next order of business is to learn the positions so I can tell people what Tristan plays. That is, when they finally settle the boys into positions. I would also like to understand more about what is going on out on that field. I wonder if they make a "Football For Dummies" book I could read?
I do know that the boys need a lot of work and that coach is determined to make these boys the best they can be. He does not accept second best. One of his sayings is, "I don't care if you are the best or the worst kid on the field, as long as you are playing with heart. If you have heart the size of Texas and you give me your best, that's good enough for me." Now, that's not to say that he isn't out there yelling, "SUCK IT UP!" when there is a kid out there bawling cuz he got a cleat to the shin or whining about his helmet being too tight. "Get a haircut!" is his response to that one! It's so much fun watching these kids grow.
This purple jersey is not what the team will be wearing. This is the jersey from last year and we're just using them for work outs. The real thing will be Bonneville green and white. We have no idea when we might get those.
I have to give a holler to Kim Bily for these great pictures! Her son is also on the team and we have a lot of fun chatting during practice and laughing at the boys as they learn their plays and how to "tighten it up." Thanks Kim!

1 comment:

Jarad said...

How exciting! --Rochelle