Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Go Panthers!

Well, Tristan has had his first couple of football practices with Grid Kid and needless to say, the kid is hooked. They spent most of the time doing conditioning training yesterday and today, they started drills. There are about 30 kids on the team ranging from 60.5 pounds all the way up to 153 pounds. It's amazing to look at the difference. Tristan is a great runner (usually in the top 4 when they run sprints and distance run) and pretty good at blocking as well. It's a lot of fun watching those kids work. I must say however, I am a wee bit nervous about next week. The boys don't get their pads and helmets until Friday, so there isn't a lot of hitting and NO tackling. What am I gonna do when the first kid plows into my baby? I might just storm onto the field and kick the kid's @$*! More likely, I'll burst into tears and run onto the field to help him up. That probably won't get very good results either. During the parents' meeting yesterday, Coach opened by saying, "I will scream at your kids. The helmets make it hard for the boys to hear us, so we have to be loud, but mostly, we just like to yell." He also said that this is a hard hitting team. The entire goal is to get out there and ram into anything that moves. Nobody gets past his line. Yipe! I am gonna have to make some serious adjustments to my thought patterns if this is going to work! And I really want this to work. Tristan is just so jazzed. I love the energy and excitement he shows when he talks about football or works with his teammates. So, all I have to say for now is... "GO PANTHERS!!!"

No comments: