Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Day of Firsts

Tristan and Samantha were all smiles as they prepared to go to their first day at a new school in a new town. Yesterday was back to school night where the kids had a chance to meet their teachers and find their classrooms. All the kids liked their teachers, which is a good thing. One of the reasons they are so happy looking in this picture is because they get to walk to school... all by themselves! It's been a couple years since we lived in a place where I felt comfortable letting them go alone.




Samantha was so nervous the night before. Her stomach was upset and she couldn't sleep.

Tristan is too cool to be nervous, but I was still yelling for him to go to sleep at 10 pm!















Zachary had such a hard time. He was so amped about going to school. He has been asking when school was going to start for the past 2 weeks. When he found out about back to school night, that was all I heard about for days.

He was part of the reason Tristan didn't go to sleep earlier. Zach just wouldn't shut up!

Today was rough because he is in afternoon Kindergarten. The older kids got to leave first thing in the morning and Zachary had to stay behind. He was soooo excited, he got dressed 3 times this morning.

I am not exaggerating when I say that he asked if it was time to go to school yet every 20-30 minutes for the next 3 hours. When it was finally time to go, I fairly had to run to keep up with him on the way to school.

I snapped this picture as a surprise as his little class was getting led into the building.

It was a bittersweet day for me. My baby is going to school! Last night, it hit me and I cried. A lot. Ty actually got mad and told me to get a grip. (That might have something to do with the fact that it was after 11 and he has to get up at a quarter to 5 in the morning to catch the bus for work!) I finally had to go out and cuddle my sleeping baby for a few minutes so I could sleep. I wasn't the only mom shedding a tear or two outside the doors to the school!

As a side note... I had another weird moment this afternoon. Do you have any idea how strange it is to have your kids going to the same elementary school you went to? It's a little Twilight Zone for me.

3 comments:

Jarad said...

Don't you just love the first day of school? Congratulations on having all three in school. I will have three in school next year and I am excited. I must brag that we have all day kindergarten!

Rebecca said...

What cute kids you have! And they look so grown up! I can't wait to have all mine in school. I have another week before the first 2 start. 3 years till I can send 'em all!

Aurie Jenkins said...

I can not imagine sending Landon off to school I know Ill cry too. They grow up so fast its crazy! You have such beautiful kids too, the pictures are so great and its so beautiful there, I love the trees!!!