Saturday, September 20, 2008

Where's That Jones Kid?

Time: 12 Noon
Place: Lincoln Field
Event: Tristan's team's 4th football game. We played Rexburg Grey this afternoon.
We were a little nervous as we were getting ready for the game. It had been raining off and on since about 2AM and thunder was starting to make its presence known. Would the game be canceled? We actually got really lucky. The sky cleared for the 2 hours of our game and it began raining again on the drive home. Thank you Tlaloc (He's the Aztec god of rain.)
Tristan had had a really good practice yesterday. He was chosen to lead the end of practice cheer (kinda like the MVP of practice) and was told he was being moved to first string. So it was exciting to see him trot on to the field the first time the defense was up. Tristan was amazing! He was NOT letting any of those red jerseys past him. He was a tackling fool. I didn't know he could hit like that! I spent much of the game screaming my head off because it really was a good game. (I forgot how much I used to love football games when I was in high school.) The boys were having so much fun. Tristan was going for the other team's knees like his life depended on it. In the last quarter, Tristan was called off the field. I think he thought he was being pulled for some instruction. When it became apparent that he wasn't going right back in, he went to the coach (I was observing this from my seat) and said, "Are you sending me back in, Coach? Are you sending me back in?" and I overheard the coach say, "No son, it's time to let some of the other boys play." YEAH COACH! I was so glad to see that they weren't pulling any of their old tricks.
After we won the game, (20-0) the team gathered for their mini team meeting. The coach had forgotten the trophies, so the coaches were just telling who they liked for the game today. Best defensive lineman, best offensive lineman, that sort of stuff. Soon, coach says, "What about the best tackles?" and another guy (one of the dads, I don't know what his name is, Lee's dad) jumped right in, "Where's that Jones kid! He was awesome!" I was proud to begin with, but it's nice to have someone else notice your kid's efforts, ya know? So, it's between Tristan and this other kids who made a major hit. One that we could hear an audible "Uuunnhhh" from the boy being tackled.
I'm so proud of all those boys for their team spirit, excellent sportsmanship, and 100% they put into every game. We have a good group of kids and a good group of parents. Plus, we're 4 and 0 and that ain't bad either!

1 comment:

Aurie Jenkins said...

so much fun. I am glad he got to play and played so well. I cant wait to go my sons games. I am a huge football fan!!! Love football season.