Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Giving My Time

I have such a great opportunity this year. For the first time, I am able to volunteer in my kids' classrooms! It is so much fun. I don't have to find sitters for younger children, so I am available the entire time Zach is in Kindergarten.

The first class I started helping out in was Zach's Kinder class. I am there all afternoon. There are 22 little cuties in his class. Usually, I do letter recognition with the kids to get them ready for reading. It's so fun to watch their little minds work. I am surprised different their levels are. It ranges from a little boy who "counts" the cards I show him to a little girl who gives the letter name, sound, and an example, "Bee, buh, bird." It's so cute. I also assess and record the skills set booklets, run copies, and filing. I love Zach's teacher, so it's fun to be in the class.

Then I started reading groups in Tristan's class. I work there for the last hour of school. It's fun to see all the personalities of all the different kids. At that age, they start to get their more "grown up" attitudes and ideas.

I haven't had a chance to volunteer in Samantha's class yet. The first week I showed up and her teacher was out sick. The substitute didn't know what to do with me, so I left. Then this week, Samantha had a bad cold and had to go to the doctor. Strike two. Hopefully, I will get a chance to help next week.

I love being in the classroom. It's nice to have an idea of what is going on in the classes and seeing my kids with their peers. I feel so blessed to be able to volunteer this year. I hope it continues to be this much fun!

No comments: