Sunday, April 26, 2009

We're All Wet

Today, I went back into the craft room to return a paint brush that was played with without permission. (grrr. It was one of my good ones too!) Anyway, I stepped next to a box and felt a very damp spot. I thought, "Crap! The dog peed on the floor." So I got down on the floor to smell it and make sure. (Ah, the joys of pet ownership.) However, I got a surprise when I smelled something else entirely. I couldn't place the smell, so I called Ty in to check it out. He couldn't identify the smell either. Then, he noticed that the box next to the wet spot was soaked half-way up. Uh-oh. Something broke and leaked all over. So we opened up the box and found a whole bunch of candles, but they were all solid and nothing was leaking. Ty got up and walked across the floor and discovered that it was ALL wet! Apparently, a pipe outside the house was leaking. A lot! We had to vacuum out the window well and down into a hole. We removed all of the boxes out of the room and had to open a few to check to see if anything was damaged. Luckily, nothing was ruined. Then, we began vacuuming up the water from the carpet. Of course, the hose on Ty's shop-vac broke, so Ty had to go borrow my dad's. While he was gone, I went over it with the carpet cleaner. I had to dump it twice because it filled the reservoir up to the top. Finally, Ty realized that it was futile as long as the pad was soaked. So, we ripped up the carpet and had to chunk out the pad. It was literally dripping and there were puddles standing on the concrete. Then, we had to re-vacuum up the carpet. What a mess! I think the carpet can be saved and the wall is okay as well. Thank goodness for insurance. Of course, all this happened two days before I go in for surgery! (More about that later.) I guess I should have taken pictures of all the carnage, but I was so absorbed in the clean up that I didn't think about it until the carpet was laying back down and the fan was at work. Sorry, I guess I'm out of "blogger" mode.
About the surgery. On Tuesday, I am going in for a partial hysterectomy. I have a very difficult time once a month. Heavy flow, pain that debilitates me, I turn into a total hag. Since we're done having kids, I don't really need all that plumbing, so Dr. Leavitt is taking out my Uterus. He's leaving the ovaries, so I won't have to start hormone replacement. He's doing it laprascopically, so the recovery time is a lot shorter; 7 days as opposed to 4-6 weeks. I may not even have to stay the night! So, if it's no trouble, maybe you could keep me in your prayers. ;0)

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow. Sorry about your carpet, and I hope the surgery goes well. I'll be thinking about you.

Bella Dyer said...

oh sorry about water damage huh...and sorry you have to have surgery! Look forward to seeing you all!

Tylynn said...

Oh Jen! Hope all goes well tomorrow. Love you!

Aurie Jenkins said...

sorry about the carpet that happen to us the first house we lived in newly newly weds (like 3 wks) and it was just insane, we had no idea what to do!! Anyway good luck with the surgery, I have some stuff removed laproscopyly (sp :0) ) so just a few recommendations, you cant hardly sit up for a few days afterwards so make sure you have lots to do around you, and lots and lots of applesauce because you wont hardly be able to eat. anyway good luck let us know how it turns out

KirstyB said...

Ugghhh...that totally stinks about the carpet!!

Good luck with your surgery!!

jamiegilson said...

Bummer! If it's not one thing it has to be something else doesn't it. Good luck with the house and especially with the surgery.