Wednesday, April 1, 2009

It Never Ends

It seems that all I am posting about lately is the house and all of the things we are doing to it. Well, I wouldn't want to break that streak, so here's another one!
Ty's big project today was the kitchen cabinets.
Several of the cabinets needed to be re-caulked. There were huge gaps between the walls and the base and shelves.
Ty didn't want me to take his picture, so you know I HAD to.
The shelves also needed to be sanded down and repainted. There are a lot of cupboards and Ty had a big job ahead of him. He got them done and they look great. He went back to the house after dinner and now he's tidied up the garage and then he's going to caulk the gaps in the walls in Zach's room. The man's a maniac.
My project was removing the wallpaper in the bathroom. First, I peeled the first layer off. That took two garbage bags.

Next, I used my favorite new product, DIF. I don't care if the label says it's been proven to cause cancer in California. I'm in Idaho, so I should be safe, right?
First, I sprayed it on the walls. I started by spraying sections on the lower half of the walls. You can only do so much at a time or it sits too long. After it's been sprayed, it has to sit for 15-20 minutes. I tried to space it out so there wasn't a lot of standing around, but sometimes there was a little down time, so I'd go out into the kitchen and "supervise" Ty in his work.
Then I used a putty tool to scrape the wallpaper off. I can't believe how easy it is. When you spray on the DIF, you can see spots start bubbling up right away.
By the time you've waited for the 15 minutes, the paper just peels right off the wall. In some sections, all I had to do was start the peel with the putty thingy and then I could gently pull the paper off the wall. I got the entire bottom half of the bathroom done and two sections are done all the way up to the ceiling. Tomorrow I will finish the bathroom. I had to stop so I could get the kids home and make dinner. I also have piles of laundry to work on. It's been a little neglected these past few days. I didn't go back with Ty so I could get the kids bathed and ready for bed.
I'd better get off the computer so we can get family prayer and off to bed. Have a great night!

5 comments:

Tylynn said...

your cabinet door look like ours! The WOW! Your hard work will pay off! Yea Yea Yea!

Tylynn said...

that made sense... time for bed.

Bella Dyer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bella Dyer said...

fun! so excited for you guys to get into your new house! I HATE wallpaper...mine did not come off that easy...and I did use DIF. our entire master bedroom and bathroom was covered in HORRIBLE old lady wallpaper. We had to do the kitchen also...just the girls bathroom and office to go.....I will never do wallpaper...so MUCH easier to just paint a new color! DUH!

jamiegilson said...

I loved your comment about cancer in Cali. I'm still laughing. I'm so excited for you guys. Fun house stuff.