Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Our New Neighbor

About a week ago, when Ty was mowing the yard, he noticed a nest in the bush outside our back door.A couple of days later, there were four little eggs inside. We think this may be a first attempt for the mama bird. Do you see the way the nest is lying? It's attached to the tree quite well, but it looks like it's about to fall out of the tree. Quite precarious! Mama Bird has been very faithful about keeping her nest warm. She ignores Mayzee completely, but if one of us steps onto the back porch, she flies to the tree across the yard to flap her wings and scold us for being too close.Here is another shot of the precious cargo.This afternoon, when I peeked out to check how things were going, I saw a new neighbor. And I mean BRAND new. He/she still has bits of egg shell stuck to his body! (See that little white speck on his back? That's shell.) I think I may be as excited as the mother bird is! I can't wait to see if the others will soon follow suit and join us in our back yard!

3 comments:

Kierstin said...

That is awesome! Don't you just love nature?

Rachel Keppner said...

Awwwww!!! This was collective sigh at our house as the kids and I looked at the pictures of your new neighbors. So precious! :-)

Jessica said...

That is cool Jen!!! How fun for your kids to see this over summer vacation!