Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Worst Mommy Ever

Yep, that's me, the Worst Mommy EVER! It all started when we moved here two years ago. Ty's job offered no dental insurance, but since the kids and I had recently been (like 2 weeks before we left) we weren't too worried about it. A year passed and Ty got another job. This one offered dental, but it was pretty crappy coverage. So, being the great mother I am, I just kept putting off appointments for the kids. Then, two weeks ago, I got a clue and made appointments for all the kids for last Saturday. I was terrified of the horrors that awaited in my children's mouths. Tristan was 1st. No cavities, needs a couple sealings. Big whoop. Yeah Tristan, your teeth are great! *high five* Then Samantha went in. No cavities, needs one sealing, doctor recommends 2 extractions so her grown-up teeth can move in. (I am still debating whether I want him to do those, cuz won't they come out on their own?) Yeah Samantha, your teeth are great! *high five* Now, I know Zach was going to be a problem because I can see a hot spot myself, and he began complaining the day before the appointment that his tooth hurt. I was bracing myself for four cavities. Then the dentist comes out and says, "Come here, Mom, I want to talk to you about this. Zach is NOT brushing his teeth well. YOU need to be brushing his teeth every morning and night. He has 9 cavities." My mouth got tingly and my stomach got sick. "Four of these cavities are so bad they need a pulpotomy, which is basically a baby root canal." My angel baby needs four root canals? What kind of a mother allows her baby's teeth to get that bad?
We went in today to have his first one done. Zach was all excited cuz he got to go without his siblings and the dentist has movies you can watch with special glasses when he works! Wooheee! It's gonna be a party. The poor boy can't get numb! They gave him the max dose they can give and Zach was still feeling everything! We spent two hours there, just trying to prep him for the root canal. Finally, the dentist gave up. He said that if he attempted to do this, it was going to hurt and therefore cause problems with future dental visits. So he referred us to a pedodontist (that's the spelling the lady gave me, it doesn't seem right, but...) Zach will go to this other doctor who specializes in this. He will most likely be knocked out so they can just do all four at once. I HATE the idea of my baby being sedated like that. He's just too little. My heart is breaking. His first "real" dental experience (not just the "smile" appointments they give small children) and this is what he gets. You should see his face. We couldn't keep him from chewing on his cheek, so he looks like he has a huge jaw breaker stuffed in there. If it's still like that in the morning, I'll get a picture and post it here.
So there it is. My bid for The Worst Mommy Ever award. I think I have a pretty good shot at it.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Bigger font or different color- I can't read it! Good thing, I guess, I'd hate to think you were a bad mom who let your kid get 9 cavities or something! hee hee hee. Joshua and Marian have each had fillings already. Their dentist used laughing gas and they loved it!

Jen said...

Poor kid had to have one extracted. The story has changed a bit. I will post with the update and some really sad pictures.