Tuesday, March 18, 2008

What's a Lipoma?

I actually stole this blog from my MySpace account. I figure I'll be talking about the situation again in the future, so I thought it only right to post it here as well.
20 Feb, 2008
The answer is, what the ultrasound tech thinks is growing under my left arm! Starting back in November, I had some pain that felt like I had pulled a muscle in my armpit. Sore and annoying, but no big deal. It went away after a few days and I forgot all about it. Then, when we were in Idaho between Christmas and New Year, the pain came back, but this time, it was accompanied with a little swelling. I had a cold at the time, so I figured a lymph node was swollen and went on with my life. It was gone by the time we went home. But, just over a week ago, the pain came back and it was much, much worse. It was actually keeping me up at night. And the swelling was worse, too. So I decided I needed to have it checked out. First, my Dr sent in a P.A. The P.A. first thought it was an abscess, then changed his mind to an infected lymph node. He said he's prescribe some antibiotics and all would be well in 3-4 days. The Dr came in shortly after that and said, "No, no, no, no" after he had had a chance to peek. He was a little more concerned than that. He ordered an x-ray to be done there at the office, but it came back clean. He scheduled me to come back on Saturday for an ultrasound and referred me out for a mammogram and a MRI. The ultrasound revealed a huge mass just barely below the armpit. It's more than 5cm across. He couldn't get an exact measurement because the tissue surrounding it is irritated, so the edges are unclear. What was clear is that it pushes into my left breast a bit and wraps around into my back. It was really cool to see. It was so obvious, even my untrained eye could see it. He also showed me how there is no blood flow in that area either. The tech said it looks like a large Lipoma which is basically a fatty tumor. Usually non-cancerous. I had the mammogram yesterday and there was no evidence of cancer in that area. *whew* My MRI is scheduled for tomorrow, and then I will have to go back to the Dr to discuss the findings and our options. I'll keep you posted.
(((HUGS))) to all!!!


Since I posted the above, I have had two MRI's, was referred to a surgeon, and had a CT scan. I go back to the surgeon tomorrow morning. Unfortunately, the swelling is mostly gone and I think he's gonna tell me that we can't do anything until it comes back. Egad. I don't want to go through this rodeo again.
Think good thoughts for me. I'll post again tomorrow night to share the news.

No comments: